Have you ever imagined what a career as a voice over artist is like? Or what would it be like to be the voice behind the screen? Career as voice over artist has been steadily rising in the last few decades as the new generation swiftly shifts from regular nine to five towards more creative job opportunities.
According to the Indian Brand Equity Foundation (IBEF), the Indian media and entertainment (M&E) the industry grew at a CAGR of 10.90 per cent from FY17-18; estimated to grow at a CAGR of 13.10 per cent to reach INR 2,660.20 billion (US$ 39.68 billion) by FY23 from INR 1,436.00 billion (US$ 22.28 billion) in FY18. With its undeniably immense growth potential, the voice over industry is undoubtedly worth looking for as a career opportunity.
And want to know what the icing is on the cake? When we use the term voice over, we only think of it as the voices behind the screen; there is more to it. As a voice over artist, you can also choose your own niche based on what you are passionate about and what works best for you. Because unlike what most believe, voice over is more than just that, and there are various options to explore within that.
Just like there are different genres in the world of publishing and literature, there are also different types of voice overs for you to explore and find your niche. Intrigued? Read ahead to find out more about it.
Voice Over: a Brief Introduction
In order to understand the types of voice overs, it is essential to understand the concept of voice over first and what voice over is. And honestly, it is a pretty simple concept. Voice over is simply the process of adding a voice or audio to a video to give it more in-depth meaning. It is a production technique using an off-screen voice that is not part of the narrative.
The first voice over is believed to be from Walt Disney as Mickey Mouse in Steamboat Willie in 1928. However, the instance of voice over is actually expected to date back to the 1900s.
Why is voice over important?
If you aim to become a voice over artist, you must be interested in knowing its value and why it is crucial. What value does voice over add to a video? And why is it slowly becoming such an increasingly important part of today’s entertainment world?
For starters, voice over adds richness to the video. We don’t often credit how a unique voice can change the game. Adding a powerful voice to your brand campaign video can do miracles to help you broaden your clientele.
Voice over effects also sets the mood for the content. Remember that powerful male voice who used to narrate in Hollywood trailers back in the 2000s? Voice over adds that dash of suspense to the video that pulls the audience in and keeps them waiting for more. In addition, using voice overs to impart information is way more interesting than flashing big, boring words on the screen. What’s more important is that voice over allows the story to move forward and allows effective story development.
Types of voice overs:
Voice over is more expansive than we think it is. There are so many niches to explore and new things to try that it keeps you challenged and on your toes. Some of them are discussed below-
- Documentaries: one of the crucial types of voice overs is documentaries. It is one of the most successful forms of voice over as well. Documentary voice over is an exciting niche, and if documentaries are something you enjoy, this could be perfect for you.
- Marketing videos: the next widely popular niche for voice overs is marketing videos. Powerful voice overs are proven tools for creating brand awareness and pulling in clients/audiences or customers very quickly when done correctly.
- Audiobook narration: audiobooks are a rage these days. With busy schedules, we barely have time to read a physical book these days. Hence, audiobook narration is a rapidly growing niche in the voice over industry. If you enjoy reading, what can be more fun than playing your favorite character while making money out of it?
- Radio advertisement: another type of voice over that is also highly in vogue is voice-overs for radio. It is also commercially known as the spot ads. Usually, they range from 10 to 45 seconds maximum and are highly effective promotional tools.
- Video games voice over: now, who doesn’t like video games, right? And yes, video games’ voice over is a real thing. Those background noises, as well as the character voices, are the work of a voice over artist. Interesting, isn’t it?
These different types of voice overs niches allow artists to find what they are most comfortable with and use their talent to the best of their abilities. Because when you enjoy what you do, that’s when the magic happens, isn’t it?